Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Overcoming What May Seem Unfair Suffering

Every now and again I re-read the great speech from Martin Luther-King. It gives me inspiration as well as perspective on how to have a dream, pursue it and also do it with 'grace and style' or in his words, dignity and discipline.
Today a certain part struck me:
..."You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with
the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive."
I began to think about this powerful statement. The words creative suffering first; as I thought how can suffering be creative? Then it dawned on me that we could replace creative with original or even unique, which led me to understand it as rather than feel vicitmised by the suffering in our experiences, why not accept that our reactions to that suffering are our own creations, so therefore we can re-create that reaction and possibly get completely different outcomes more in line with what is desired.
I then continued to wonder about 'unearned suffering is redemptive'. Immediately I knew this to me meant that anything that may feel unfair or unjust, has a way of allowing me to choose to be released from the feelings of suffering and then begin to experience more liberation and freedom that what I may of before the situation came along. In turn this redemption, or liberation from the suffering often provides the drive and determination to make a difference for someone, something or even globally.
I have always resonated with the saying 'adversity breeds greatness' and I feel that it is from the darkest times that the light has the opportunity to shine the brightest.
Kirsty O'Callaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment